Someone actually asked me the other day if I’m at all upset that my dreams have been “put on hold” now that I’m a mom. To which I begrudgingly replied, “fuck no.”
(In my humble opinion) only an egocentric sack of garbage would blame the child they created because they’re not living out their dream of modelling for Victoria’s Secret.
I’m also a firm believer that the road to success is always under construction. Much like the roads of Toronto throughout the months of May to September. Sure it’s a little harder to get around, and you’re bound to get stuck in traffic for what may seem like an eternity; but eventually you reach your destination.
Many years ago, I started compiling my own bucket list (which was in no way inspired by the film). Instead of letting this person’s comment get to me which would then result in a cycle of doubt, regret, shame and inevitably, self-loathing, I was instead reminded of my list and intent on revisiting it.
Here’s my (ever growing) list thus far, in no particular order:
1. Learn a new language. And then another.
2. Complete my entire book list. [112/339 and counting]
3. Graduate university with Journalism degree. [1/2 completed]
4. Have my writing syndicated by reputable publisher(s).
5. Visit the Maldives.
7. Backpack through Europe.
Eat dinner on the Eiffel Tower.
9. Visit the Taj Mahal.
Find biological parents. [1/2]
11. Learn to surf.
12. Fly first class.
Fall deeply in love. Helplessly and unconditionally.
14. Blow off all holidays for an entire year.
15. See all of America’s National Parks and go whitewater rafting in the Grand Canyon.
16. Learn to love eating healthy.
Learn to be totally honest even when it pisses people off.
18. Visit Africa, spend a couple days at the Giraffe Manor in Kenya. Go on a wildlife safari.
19. Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef.
20. Snorkel in Bermuda.
21. Spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square.
22. Go to a Broadway show.
23. Visit Peru. Go to Machu Picchu, fly over the Nazca Lines, then fly to Rapa Nui from Cuzco to see the Moai.
24. Visit Iguazu Falls.
25. Spend Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
26. Take an Alaskan Cruise.
27. See the Northern Lights.
28. Visit Thailand, Nepal and Tibet.
29. Visit the Egyptian pyramids and the Sphinx.
30. Go up in a hot air balloon.
31. See Volcanoes National Park, Akaka Falls State Park.
33. Eat Sushi in Japan.
34. Ride in a gondola in Venice.
35. Cruise the Greek Isles.
36. Walk on the Great Wall of China.
37. Stay a night in Dracula’s Castle.
38. Fly a plane.
39. Conquer my fear of small enclosed spaces.
Learn to sew.
Spend a whole day eating junk food without feeling guilty.
42. Send a message in a bottle.
43. Be someone’s mentor.
44. See a lunar eclipse.
45. Drink beer at Oktoberfest in Munich.
Spend a whole day reading a great book.
47. Drive the Autobahn.
48. Write a novel.
49. Drive across America from coast to coast.
Learn to play a musical instrument with some degree of skill.
51. Visit Tanzania, climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.
52. Run a marathon.
53. Participate in a protest.
Capture a great moment on camera.
Write a thank you letter to someone who influenced me.
Create a budget and stick to it.
57. Start a garden from scratch.
Have a walk-in closet.
59. Fire a gun.
60. Find something to smile about every day.
61. Take a year off to travel and do charity work.
62. Swim with sharks.
63. Look for witches in Salem.
64. Go somewhere where the sun never sets (Antarctica).
65. Have a job I love that allows me a lot of time off to travel.
66. Save a life.
67. Look like a goddess in short shorts at 50 yrs.
68. Be a sexy and active until at least 90 yrs.
69. Do something no one else has ever done.
70. Fall in love with a baby orangutan while volunteering at a orangutan rehab center in Asia.
71. See a performance of the Imperial Russian Ballet – in Russia.
72. Do more, take less.
73. Have it all.
74. Attend a fashion show in Milan.
75. Shop on Rodeo Drive.
Learn to drive stick shift.
77. Find a four leaf clover.
78. Learn how to hot wire a car.
Learn to be wholly selfless.
Become a mom.
81. Learn how to pick locks.
82. Go on an archaeological dig.
83. Volunteer at a women’s shelter.
84. Spend an afternoon in Shakespeare & Company, reading and drinking coffee.
85. Spend a day at The Louvre.
86. Visit St. Mark’s Basilica.
87. Go to Brazilian Carnival.
88. Spend New Year’s Eve on Madeira Island.
89. Spend a night in an ice hotel.
90. Ride a mechanical bull.
91. Edge Walk at the CN Tower.
92. Do a colour run.
93. Learn Krav Maga.
94. Solve a Rubik’s Cube.
95. Build a home with Habitat for Humanity.
96. Be part of a Flash Mob.
97. Attend a Murder Mystery dinner.
98. Go zip lining.
Explore a cave.100.
Start a blog.101. Take a pottery class.
Attend a gay pride event.103. Dance with Ellen Degeneres.
104. Go to a book signing.
Go to dinner theatre.106.
Go to a drive-in movie.
In the words of Stephen King: You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.